Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Clover Chains


I saw this patch of clover this morning as I walked into the office and it made me think of all the hours that I sat in the front yard as a child creating "Daisy" chains. I think once I created one that stretched over 15 feet long. I can still smell the rich slightly bitter smell of the flowers as they were warmed and drying in the sun. I remember at other times, sitting in the same clover patches searches for 4-leaf clover. This was a favored past-time during recess up at Franklin Elementary School for me also. I was never much for sports, but I enjoyed sitting in the slightly overgrown grass of the play yard searching for 4 leaf clover and sucking on the yellow "Lemongrass" flowers. In those days schools didn't use chemicals on the lawns or even get around to cutting them very often. It made for a wonderland of "weeds" of all types that curious children could explore.

1 comment:

Blessed said...

I remember clover chains. We would make bracelets, necklaces and "crowns".

And actually endless hours looking for four leaf clovers!

I didn't know about lemon grass until my children demonstrated that experience to me. I don't think we had any in our "growing up" lawn.

And recess at school was on a blacktopped playground.

I heard a report on the radio this morning that we are raising a generation that literally does not know what to do outside (unless there is an organized activity)

I have three neighborhood children that certainly do! Scooters, big wheels and a lot of imagination are very visible. Eli, the little guy a few doors down rides his small bike (training wheels came off a few weeks ago) and delivers pizza to whoever is out on the front porch. (mostly me :)) )Another vanishing activity..porch sitting) I've never seen an electronic game in his hand.....he has a ball!!!