Yesterday, I while I was working out at the fitness club, I happened to stop on the C-Span Channel. There was a woman speaking to a group from the American Librarians Association about her book. I stopped because she caught my attention immediately as such a dynamic speaker. I started listening to her. Then I couldn't stop. I have never walked so long on the eliptical! Her name is Irshad Manji. She is a muslim woman from Toronto who has had the courage to research Islam religion for herself and has written a book called, "The Trouble with Islam Today, A Muslin's Call for Reform in Her Faith"
She was talking about her research, her struggle with her religion's dogma and her determination to reconcile with her faith. She spoke about women and how they are subjected to horrible crimes because of Dogma, not faith. She was fascinating. She talked about how she was able to stand up to her faith leaders because she felt it a matter of Conscience. She talked about how many hateful and threatening letters she had received, even her mother being ostracized in their home mosque by the faith leaders. (But members of the mosque also supported her mother).
Check out her website. http://www.muslim-refusenik.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment