Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Coffee is Good for my Memory!



I love it when the Scientist tells me that my vices are actually good for me.

"The results showed that:
Compared to women who drank only one cup a day or less, women who drank 3 or more cups of coffee or tea a day had a 33 per cent reduced risk of decline in verbal retrieval over four years (odds ratio 0.67).
They also showed a reduced risk of decline in visuospatial memory, but this was smaller (odds ratio 0.82).
The protective effect of caffeine appeared to increase with age, rising from a 27 per cent reduced risk of cognitive decline for women aged 65 to 74, to 70 per cent for women aged 80 and over (odds ratios were 0.73, and 0.3 respectively).
No link between caffeine intake and cognitive decline was found in men.
Incidence of dementia appeared to be unaffected by caffeine consumption over the four years of the study. The authors concluded that:"The psychostimulant properties of caffeine appear to reduce cognitive decline in women without dementia, especially at higher ages."

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/78947.php

I think I will start now to protect what little memory I have left. Another Grande Mocha Soy Latte please!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know me - Not a coffee person, but I like the picture you posted with your post.

Curt